Dubai Company Register | Which License Is Best For You?
Which license is the most appropriate for you? Discover the steps you need to take
Dubai company register: We discuss on this page the categories and procedures required to get your business licensed and registered in Dubai.
Please invest 2 minutes of your time to watch the video about Dubai company formation below. It spells out how you can benefit. Or if you prefer to read, then feel free to skip the video and go straight to the text below:
Any business of any category must have a Business (Trade) License in Dubai.
The requirements for a Trade License and the permissions required from various agencies and government ministries can vary depending on the category of the business.
That means some types of businesses for example financial services, health services, printing and publishing, food trading require more clearances than say a general trading business.
Dubai company register: There are basically 3 categories of licenses issued in Dubai
Depending on the nature of the activity a business entity plans to undertake, one of these license categories will be issued:
1. Commercial License – to be issued to a company that will engage in any kind of trading activity.
2. Industrial License – to be issued to a company that will engage in manufacturing or any industrial activity.
3. Professional License – to be issued to service providers, professionals, artisans, and craftsmen.
The Department of Economic Development (DED), Dubai is the government agency responsible for issuing these licenses for Dubai. The department operates from several locations delivering the licensing services.
This is the place where a businessman must go for a comprehensive range of services.
Dubai company register: Requirements for business licensing
Dubai company register: Business registration approval process
- Issuance of licenses for banks and other financial institutions must have the approval of the UAE Central Bank
- Issuance of licenses for manufacturing companies must have the approval of the Finance and Industry Ministry.
- Issuance of licenses for companies engaged in insurance and other similar firms must have the approval of the Ministry of Economy and Commerce, UAE.
- Issuance of licenses for medical and pharmaceutical products must have the approval of the UAE Health Ministry
- For companies engaged in gas or oil production, additional endorsements and approvals from other government agencies may be needed
- In general, business registration in Dubai must have the involvement of the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Dubai company register: Requirements for business ownership
Dubai company register: The exception to this requirement would be any one of the following six conditions:
1. The company is established at any of the Free Zones in Dubai.
2. In cases where the law requires 100% local ownership.
3. Where a company wholly owned by the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) enters into a partnership with another company wholly owned by UAE nationals.
4. In certain activities 100% ownership for GCC nationals or entities is permitted.
5. In artisan or professional companies in which total foreign ownership is allowed.
6. In the case of a foreign entity registering a representative or branch office in the UAE.
7. In the case where a professional license is being applied for crafts e.g. architect, doctor, artist and others, the foreign ownership can be 100%. However a local national must be taken as service agent.
Dubai company register: Legal business structures
A major consideration in business registration in Dubai and the other Emirates is the choice of a business structure. The Federal Law defines the seven legal structures of business organizations, as follows:
1. General Partnership
2. Partnership in Commendams
3. Public Shareholding
4. Private Shareholding
5. Joint Venture
6. Share Partnership
7. Limited Liability
Dubai company register: Establishment of a Representative or Branch Office
A branch in Dubai or a representative office of a foreign entity is allowed to be 100% foreign owned. This privilege is given on the condition that a local agent is appointed. Said local agent must be a UAE national (or a company 100% owned by UAE nationals).
Setting up a representative or branch office in Dubai may also be a consideration worth looking into as far as some foreign entities are concerned.
Based on the foregoing facts and details, it is evident that Dubai company registration and elsewhere in the UAE is a process completely free of any complication.
Dubai Company Registration Procedure
Step 1. Dubai company register: Decide who will be your UAE national partner – “Sponsor”
This steps requires careful consideration of what services would you expect from the Sponsor.
Would you like him to be assisting you in resolving your problem with the government procedures or would you just want his name on the license and nothing else? What fees are you prepared to pay per year?
A good rapport with your Sponsor prevents many potential problems.
Step 2. Dubai company register: Get a name and activity approval from Department of Economic Development (DED)
This can be applied for and done on a standard application form and submitted at DED
Step 3. Dubai company register: Look for business premises and make a tenancy contract
All businesses in Dubai must have business premises evidenced by a tenancy contract in order to get registered.
Step 4. Dubai company register: Make a Memorandum of Association (MOA) with the Sponsor and submit to DED
Any legal firm can type out the memorandum which must specify the special arrangements of running the business, ownership percentage amongst all partners, and their profit sharing arrangements. This agreement should be notarized in the Dubai court.
Step 5. Dubai company register: Submit the MOA and the License application at DED along with the required legal documents and the tenancy contract.
All charges and fees must be paid at this stage. You should get a license after about a week from step 5.
Does the content of this page about Dubai company register resonate with you? If yes, please share it with your friends using one of the social media buttons or start a chat with us below.